Welcome

Welcome

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Skunked!

If you could have been in ear shot of our house 2 nights ago when Callie came running into the house after being "skunked", you might have heard me praying really loud.  Oh God, oh God, oh God....was being loudly proclaimed by yours truly.  As soon as she ran inside, there was no mistaking what had happened.  The stench was the worst thing I had ever smelled.  If you have passed by a dead skunk on the side of the road and inhaled the aftermath, well that is NOTHING compared to an up close and personal encounter with a freshly sprayed dog!  It actually BURNED my throat and eyes. Think of the smell as an onion that married garlic and then rotted for 100 years! That may not do it justice.  Me oh my, I did not know what to do.  As Jeff rangled Callie, I ran to the computer and googled a remedy.  Poor Callie was in complete shock too.  She ran upstairs before we could get our hands on her, taking with her the skunk smell.  After sticking her in the shower, I put together a recommended concoction of baking soda, peroxide, dawn, and water.  I walked in the bathroom to see Jeff with an ace bandage wrapped around his head and nose as a barrier.  I would have rolled on the floor laughing if it had not been such a good idea to barricade your mouth and nose from the nuclear smell radiating from our dog. I wish I had taken a picture, but there was no time.  After bathing her for what seemed to be 3 hours, she finally smelled better.  Unfortunately the house had a lingering skunky smell that was almost unbearable.  We opened all the windows and survived the night.  After 2 days, the house still has a hint of skunk to it.  Callie's face, where she must have gotten a direct hit, still smells.  I have washed it again and again, but it still lingers.  So, Callie is now aka "stinky face".  

Know what makes a skunky house smell better???? Baking a batch of brownies!!! OH YEAH!


1 comment: